Saturday, November 17, 2007

Wenesday 8-08 Day 45















Start: Bedford, PA
End: Gettysburg, PA
Scheduled Miles: 100.4
Actual Miles: 103.65

The day starts out like any other day on the ride. David from Toronto and I head out together and with some big hills we are pretty evenly matched, he's a better climber, but I am quicker on the downhill, the extra 50 pounds I have over him probably explains that. The terrain is fairly hilly and with a bit of light rain, we do the descents a little more cautiously. Then the weather clears up and we make great time, and catch up to Iron Mike, Jerome and Rodney.

Due to the length and challenge of the day I make sure that every hour I am downing a power bar or something else nutritious. Sometimes I stop for this, sometimes I eat while rolling. I also make sure I drink plenty of sports drink. I have had a lot of the Gatorade on this trip, but I always drink it at half strenght, otherwise it is just too sweet. I do the same with any of the juices that I pick up at the connivance stores too.

We are rolling along real nice and for the first time in a while, we are at the front of the pack. So, I gotta have some fun! I spot a dead opossum on the road side, a few yards away, someone has dumped their beer bottles. I quickly get off the bike and set up a little tableau with the 'possem and beer bottles put caption on it with my trusty chalk and we have a public service announcement. David, thinks I'm off my rocker, but in camp that night many riders tell me they had a good laugh.

We are getting to some history rich areas, and David (being the hobby historian that he is)and I stop at a lot of the places to read up on them.

Just before a water stop in the Cowan state park, I find an unusual merry-go-round. Four beams project from a central axis and on the end of each is a bench seat. Soon I have Tom, Kari, and Alison joining me for some great fun.

The middle third of the ride becomes relatively flat and I am now riding with David the younger. Most of our riding today has been on great roads on some very well thought out routes, all set up by the PA Department of Transportation. They are well marked which makes it so easy to follow; Thank you Governor Tom Ridge!

The last 10 miles into Gettysburg is downhill, nothing to steep, but it still goes very quickly. At first you come across one of the battlefields, then you enter a section that is very new, before getting into the city proper which has changed very little since the war. You kind of get whiplash from the seaming time travel.

Camp is at the Gettysburg Middle school just a block from the main drag of town. I find a hallway to call home for the next two days. Most of the riders have found hotel rooms to spend the next two nights, there are plenty of them! Tonight is $10 night and I have dinner with Iron Mike and Rodney, followed by some walking around and then an Ice Cream. I have the strawberry phosphate. That's living.

No comments: