Saturday, November 17, 2007

Tuesday 8-07 Day 44


Start: Confluence, PA
End: Bedford, PA

Scheduled Miles: 81.3
Actual Miles: 81.5

This morning I wake up early for KP duty, It is still dark as I break camp and pack everything into the truck. My little headlamp really comes in handy. After breakfast it is another 31 miles of the fine gravel trail. After spending most of the day yesterday on the trail it is more of the same and dare I say, somewhat boring. We do go over some high bridges that cross the valleys, which is the only scenic views.

Our first rest stop is in Meyersdale, at a little train museum. They open up just for us, and they are just about done with a major renovation. they have added a lot of graphics some of which are backlit. The museum lady is really proud of this latest technology. They also have a small gift shop with the old fashioned wooden train whistles. I buy one with the intention to annoy my fellow campers at night, when they are trying to sleep. (What a great grinchy trick that would be)

Taking off from the musuem, Jodi and I ride togehter for a spell, than we come to some steep hills, and we loose each other. The terrian here reminds me a lot of WI with the hardwood forests and farm fields, but the hills are more severe, not having had glaciers beat them down. Our route takes us to the crash site of Flight 93, one of the planes hijacked on 9-11. We have a water/rest stop in the parking lot. There are a lot of memorials that people have sent in, stone, T-shirts, crosses and other pieces of personal possisions. Some of them are a little too self-promoting in my mind and after hearing about the obsticles to putting up a dignified permament memorial, I leave with a bad feeling and heavy heart.

From there we have more climbing to do. There is one "staircase" climb in particular that goes from 2,400 feet in elevation to 2,900 feet in seven miles. Once you creast that though it is downhill for 6 miles. At times I hit 40 MPH and have to break for turns that have a 25 MPH speed limit. Yee Haw!!!!

We are at a commercial camp tonight, and there is free ice cream at the camp general store. Life is good! We have a pizza dinner with all the fixins tonight and there is way too much food! Most of the riders go to the Cannondale factory for a tour which is right next to our camp. I stay behind to clean up after dinner. Tomorrow is the ride into Gettysburg, 100 plus miles and lots of hills. This is to be our final "exam". I also set up a little repair shop to change the cleats on my shoes, glue some cracks in the foam of Alisons helmut and glue Seans sunglass back together. The ride is almost over and he doesn't want to have to buy new ones.

It's dark our now and I'm in the tent writing this all down. About this time, the folks who took the tour are just getting back. It's a "late" night for them and it's not even 9:00!

No comments: